Some Ways to Crack Your Heart Wide Open, Part 1
1. Watch the tiny birds building their nest in the wall of our house. Their sweet living purposeful bodies popping in and out of the hole left behind by a vent duct or something completely ordinary. Now become a home within a home.
2. Listen to the breathing of your sleeping child.
3. Stare into the eyes of your dog.
4. Read a poem.
Some Ways to Crack Your Heart Wide Open, Part 2
1. Paint the poems you can’t yet write.
2. Go to a pond with lots of trees hanging over it. Be very quiet as you slowly, very slowly, make you way under the hanging moss and boughs towards the muddy edge. Lose your shoe in the mud.
3. Find a bull frog just lazing in the water. Match your heart beat to his. Gently scoop him up in your hand. Match your spirit beat to his. Look him in the eye. Marvel at every intricacy of his being. Hold your hand flat and let him leap off when he feels like.
4. Watch the ripples of the water his swimming legs make. How much like every other pattern made by nature it clearly is.
Some Ways to Crack Your Heart Wide Open, Part 3
1. Get up earlier than the sun on a misty Pacific Northwest day.
2. Sit in the still quiet with a mug of tea sending flowers and fruit to your nose.
3. Watch the light begin. Wait for that perfect special color you love that can’t be found anywhere else. Take a breath and it’s gone.
4. Dance in the kitchen alone to one of your songs. Embrace your beautiful body as it moves and glides and bends and shimmies with grace out of time. A Degas dancer in your kitchen. A Hindu Goddess. An Elven Queen.